4.2) Our last day in New Zealand

16.09.2021, 10:00

It's Alex here, back with our last update from Aukland. 

To be honest, three weeks in New Zealand flew by at the speed of the racing cars we drove in Taupo. However, the time we have spent here has been both exciting, fun, and informative. We have no complaints. And, eventually, everything comes to an end.  

We arrived at our hotel in Auckland at about 6:00 P.M. As you read in Mina’s post, we then reflected on our adventurous weeks. The next day we had to fly back to Norway, but the flight was at 8:00 P.M., so we had lots of time to spend in Auckland during the day.   

First, we had breakfast. And then, at 9:00 A.M., we headed to Aotea Square. Rui was with us because he wanted to say goodbye. He stayed with us until we took the plane to Norway (He is a great guy, hands down). The four of us went to the Aotea square, found a cosy coffee shop, and stayed there for an hour. It was warm inside, and the deep lounge music matched the atmosphere.

We had some coffee and pastries, and then we were good to go.  

Aotea Square


We went to the famous Auckland Harbour Bridge and crossed it - and not in the normal way! Yes, we went to the bridge, got dressed in special suits and with the help of a guide climbed the bridge curve. Insane right? Well, it was a bit nerve-racking, but it was ok. No one had any accidents. The walk lasted for two hours and at the highest point, we were at 67 m above the sea. 67 meters, I must say was not that easy to handle. The wind was blowing, there was traffic underneath us, and of course the sea as well. But there was one thing that beat everything. The view! You could see the whole city from where we stood. The cars and the people you could see were like tiny ants, rushing and moving around.

It was absolutely phenomenal!   

Climbing the bridge


When we came down, we went to have lunch. After all, it was 1:00 P.M. Rui suggested going to Mission Bay, a seaside suburb of Auckland where you can simply walk, eat, enjoy the sun, and the ice cream. We ate, had a walk, and headed to the beach. It was so warm that Rui and I could not resist going for a swim. Mina read a book on the white beach, whilst Rick went to get us some ice cream. Afterwards, we went back to the hotel to get our stuff, and then we headed for the airport.  

Mission Bay


At 6:00 P.M., we arrived at the airport and said goodbye to Rui, and to New Zealand, this fabulous country with an amazing culture, activities, sights etc. I said a big thanks to Rui who was with us the last week and guided us. He was my best friend while studying in Australia, so it was great to see him again. If everything is okay with the world, he will visit Norway next year. So, we will all see him again soon, hopefully.  

Rui and I saying goodbye


For our last blog post, Rick will tell you about the last part of our journey, from New Zealand back to Norway.  

For the last time, 


Del artikkel:

Relaterte artikler